The City of Bedford’s Tax Rate is 3%. The City allows a credit of up to 2.25% on other City withholding taxes paid.
Use the links to find tax forms and other information.
Please read the important information below as it will help with your Tax filling questions.
Payment of all individual and business taxes is due by April 15th or the State of Ohio tax due date.
Filling of all individual and business taxes can be extended by using IRS form 4868 (Individuals) or IRS form 7004 (Businesses). See more information below.
Estimated payments are billed on a quarterly basis for your convenience. There is no penalty if you fail to pay these each quarter.
All Residents over 18 must file a tax return, even when no tax is due.
Effective Tax Year 2002 and after, Retired and/or Permanently Disabled residents with no earned income are not required to file a tax return, provided the taxpayer has filed a previous year's tax return establishing residency.
Schedule C or Schedule E losses CANNOT offset W2 income. Copies of any schedule must be attached to the return for it to be processed.
A balance due of under $10.00 does not need to be remitted. No amounts $10.00 and under will be refunded.
As long as documentation of all income is provided, we do accept generic forms.
File Tax Return Online
The Tax Department offers all residents the ability to calculate and print your municipal income tax return online. Go to File Tax Return Online to file your tax return on line. After completion of the return, if requesting a refund only, please send the return, including all documentation, by US mail to the Tax Department.
If you have any questions, please contact the Tax Department at (440) 735-6505.
Notice of Interest
Pursuant to Chapter 178.10 of the City of Bedford Codified Ordinances entitled, “Penalty, Interest, Fees and Charges”, interest at the rate of 5% per annum will be imposed on any unpaid income tax, estimated income tax, and withholding tax required to be paid or remitted to the City of Bedford on or after January 1, 2016 for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2016.
- Interest rate for tax year 2016: 5% per annum
- Interest rate for tax year 2017: 6% per annum
- Interest rate for tax year 2018: 6% per annum
- Interest rate for tax year 2019: 7% per annum
- Interest rate for tax year 2020: 7% per annum
- Interest rate for tax year 2021: 5% per annum
- Interest rate for tax year 2022: 5% per annum
- Interest rate for tax year 2023: 7% per annum
Notice of Penalties
Pursuant to Chapter 178.10 of the City of Bedford Codified Ordinances entitled “Penalty, Interest, Fees and Charges”,
Penalties are as follows:
- With respect to unpaid tax and unpaid estimated income tax, a penalty equal to fifteen percent of the amount not timely paid shall be imposed.
- With respect to any unpaid withholding tax, a penalty equal to and not to exceed fifty percent of the amount not timely paid shall be imposed.
- With respect to filling returns other than estimated income tax returns, the Municipality shall impose a monthly penalty of twenty-five dollars for each failure to timely file each return, regardless of the liability shown thereon for each month, or any fraction thereof, during which the return remains unfiled regardless of the liability shown thereon. The penalty shall not exceed a total of one hundred fifty dollars in assessed penalty for each failure to timely file a return
Federal Extension Information
An extension may be requested by any business or individual unable to complete their tax return by the deadline. IRS extension forms are available on the IRS website www.irs.gov.
Beginning with tax year 2016, obtaining a federal extension will automatically extend your City of Bedford due date to the approved federal due date (usually October 15th). However, the federal government does not share information with the City of Bedford, so it is strongly recommended (to avoid confusion) that a copy of the federal extension form be attached to the extended return when filed. A taxpayer can also call or otherwise notify the City that a federal extension was filed.
An extension of time to file is NOT an extension of time to pay. Payment of any balance due must accompany a request for extension to file. Penalty and interest are charged for late payment of taxes. See chapter 178.10 of the Bedford Codified Ordinances.