The Fire Department is currently flushing hydrants throughout the city. Temporarily discolored, rusty water will occur in the vicinity of flushing. You may also experience low or no water pressure. Please allow time for the water to be moved through the system. Signs will be posted at the entrances of the city to notify residents when hydrants in the area will be flushed.
- Avoid using the washing machine during times of hydrant flushing.
- If discolored water occurs, simply run the cold water for a few minutes until it clears. This will allow the sediment to work through your pipes.
- In some cases, the discoloration may linger for a few hours. This discoloration of the water only affects the appearance and does not affect the water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure remains low after the flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens or any water filters for trapped particles.
Benefits of hydrant flushing:
- Flushes sediments from the water lines and improves water quality.
- Verifies proper operation of fire hydrants and valves.
- Verifies ample water flow for fire fighting.