BFD provides inspections for commercial businesses, daycares and foster homes. Our goal is to assist the state in approving more safe homes to help in the foster care system. We are continually working towards keeping our local businesses clean, safe and up to code. Some task to accomplish this include:
1) Inspect buildings to locate hazardous conditions and fire code violations such as accumulations of combustible material, electrical wiring problems, and inadequate or non-functional fire exits.
2) Identify corrective actions necessary to bring properties into compliance with applicable fire codes, laws, regulations, and standards, and explain these measures to property owners or their representatives.
3) Conduct inspections and acceptance testing of newly installed fire protection systems.
4) Inspect and test fire protection and/or fire detection systems to verify that such systems are installed in accordance with appropriate laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, and standards.
5) Conduct fire code compliance follow-ups to ensure that corrective actions have been taken in cases where violations were found.
6) Inspect properties that store, handle, and use hazardous materials to ensure compliance with laws, codes, and regulations.
7) Write detailed reports of fire inspections performed, fire code violations observed, and corrective recommendations offered.
8) Develop or review fire exit plans.
9) Review blueprints and plans for new or remodeled buildings to ensure the structures meet fire safety codes.
10) Attend training classes to maintain current knowledge of fire prevention, safety, and firefighting procedures.
11) Present and explain fire code requirements and fire prevention information to architects, contractors, attorneys, engineers, developers, fire service personnel, and the general public.
12) Conduct fire exit drills to monitor and evaluate evacuation procedures.
13) Conduct inspections for licensed daycares and foster homes.
14) Attend Ohio Board of Building Standards adjudication hearings regarding the fire code.
15) Provide fire safety talks to businesses and schools.
16) Provide fire extinguisher trainings to businesses and their employees